Oh To Be Young Again!


Ensure a long, healthy life

Connor

Did you know that studies on American dogs have classified over 80% of dogs who are ages six and older as geriatric? In human terms, that is a ripe old age of 42. As a 42 year old woman, I don’t think I am ready to be put out to pasture. As a society, we have begun to accept the notion that it is valid for a dog to look old at age six or seven. Don’t believe the hype. With just a few easy steps, you can help ensure your dog lives a long, healthy life.
A few months ago, I met a woman on a walk with two Pugs. Without even thinking, I said, “I love old Pugs, can I pet them?”. She gave me what I would call the stink eye and told me that her dogs were six and seven years old. Yikes! Her Pugs looked ancient, had rough, dull coats, and one of them was already suffering from eye issues. As I tried to redeem myself and change the subject, she asked me the dreaded question, “How old are your babies?” I answered and then changed the subject again. Francis, my black Pug, is nine and glows with health. Her sleek and silky, blue-black coat makes people think she is under three. Finnbar, my fawn Pug, is a ripe 13 years of age and is just now starting to slow down. People think Finn is around seven to eight years old. Were my Pugs always this healthy? Sadly, no.
When I got Francis, she had demodectic mange and looked like an elephant due to her lack of hair. She was a young mother from a puppy mill raid and was so pathetic looking when I took her home. I put Francis on a holistic food and after a year or so, switched her to a raw food diet due to chronic urinary stones. I have had Finnbar since he was a baby. I was an uninformed person thirteen years ago. When it came to feeding my pug, I did what any uninformed puppy owner would do. I put Finn on Purina One puppy formula. Mistake. Finnbar snored, had a stinky face, suffered from breathing issues and developed arthritis at an early age. He was young and a mess. When he approached four years of age, I started applying the same basic principals of holistic health that I used on myself and Finnbarr. With a bit of patience, he turned into the healthy little spud he is today.
Here are a list of beginner steps to help clean up your dog’s internal and external environment and put them on the road to a long life full of vibrant health.

Filter your dog’s water

Have you ever considered what is in the water your dog drinks? Tap water and many bottled waters are full of contaminants that a simple water filter can remove. Cysts, heavy metals, chlorine, and pharmaceuticals are just some of the contaminants found in water. These contaminants can affect your dogs skin, coat, and overall health. Always use a stainless steel or glass bowl for water. Plastic and plastic derivatives can leach into your dog’s water, so it is best to avoid it.

Watch what chemicals you put on your dog

Longevity is all about toxic load. Toxic load can be explained by the amount of toxins you put in your body and how your body processes those toxins. Every time you go to put medicine or different grooming products on or in your dog think about what it is made of. For example, when you are shampooing your pup, make sure that your shampoo is a natural, plant based soap free of sulfites and heavy chemicals.

Feed an all natural diet

To me, diet is the key to longevity and a healthy life. What you put in is what you get out. For the beginner, avoid ingredients like wheat, soy, corn, sugar beets, by-products, and generic animal fats such as poultry fat. For those of you who are already feeding a holistic kibble, try adding raw fruits and vegetables to your dog’s diet as well as raw meat. With any dietary change, make the transition gradually. If you decide to feed your dog a 100% raw diet, make sure to research the proper techniques for doing so. I feed my Pugs a raw diet.  Essential to every diet is a mixture of proteins. This reduces your dog’s chances of developing a sensitivity to their food. I always suggest switching proteins every 2 to 3 months.

Add enzymes and probiotics to your dog’s diet

Keep reading HERE


Looking for a source for probiotics and enzymes? Check out 
Natures Farmacy Great, high quality products with very good prices and quick shipping time!